On 11/30/2008 5:30:23 PM, Dan M ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
> > If physics were anything more than approximate, we would have final
> > answers to all our questions.
>
> How?  All physics does is model observations.

Models make predictions. And over time models have made predictions with
greater accuracy and that cover more situations that previous models failed.
Mercury anyone?

Models also allow us to re-create phenomena for our own purposes.

> Physics was created out of
> Natural Philosophy by tabling the question of the reliability of
> observations.

Which definition of "tabling" are you using here?

> Now, you can use the results of physics as a reliable model of what we
> observe when you do metaphysics.  But, it is a really really good idea to
> not confuse when you are doing physics and when you are doing something
> else.  Otherwise you can wander off into the aether. :-)

<G> I think the implication of what I wrote before is that for most of us
there really isn't much of a difference.
I would think it quite different when having a formal discussion.

xponent
Meta-Physical Conversions Maru
rob