----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion'" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:06 PM
Subject: RE: It's confirmed: Matter is merely vacuum fluctuations

Of Interest:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html

Once again, the comments *on* the article are more interesting than the
article itself.

This gem from  Vendicar Decarian for instance:

"What is and isn't matter is all relative to the observer.

What is real particle and what is a virtual particle is also relative to the
observer.

For example:

Theoretically - and indicated but not positively proven through experiment -
acceleration causes some portion of the vacuum energy to be observed as real
thermal radiation.

This radiation was first postulated by a physicist named uhnru I believe,
and became the basis for the theorized Hawking radiaiton that is emitted by
the vacuum around black holes.

The thinking goes that if acceleration produces a realization of thermal
radiation then the acceleration experienced by the vacuum near a black hole
should do the same thing under the principle of equivalence.

It's not really productive to worry too much about what is real and what is
virtual, since there is no firm basis for the categorization. Particles are
a quantized bias in the field fluctuations that compose reality, and as such
they are transient. In their position but well defined in terms of their
detection.

When an atom emits an electon for example, it loses a quantized amount of
energy, spin, momentum, charge, etc. But that "stuff" just falls into the
vacuum. Eventually some of these lost properties will pop up somewhere else,
perhaps with some additional properties, and they will interact with a
"real" particle that we will observe and think, because of the observation
that we have observed the movement of this electron to another place, when
in fact the electron never existed in the first place. It was a name given
to the quatized bundle of properties that were combined with the field
fluctuations that make up the churning properties of the vacuum."

Amazing stuff in comment sections.

xponent
Primary Maru
rob