> John Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Deborah Harrell wrote:

> > We still can't explain all of the effects of
> aspirin..<snip>..And look at the
> recent pull of cold and cough preps for toddlers, after
> being on the shelf for decades.
> > There is no certain or 100% safe thing in the practice
> of medicine - nor in life;

> You are giving economists way too much credit. I'm not
> asking for
> 100%, or even 90%. But 50% would be nice. But economists
> can rarely manage 10%.
>
> Surely you would not take a drug if the doctor only had a
> 10% chance of predicting the major effects?

Nope (except maybe for that terminal disease thing).  <wry>  Uhm, this does
sort of lead into the need for regulation of medical and food ingestibles -
otherwise you end up with 300,000 babies/toddlers exposed to a known renal
toxin.  There does need to be a 'reasonable' proof of non-toxicity, in addition
to proof of efficacy (but one cannot ask for 100% safety either; I just want
honest and competently-run drug studies).

<shifting gears a bit> Unfortunately, we all *have* consumed a vast array of
chemicals with unknown major and minor effects, courtesy of the industrial and
chemical revolutions. Also, we ingest drugs and antibiotics that are dumped
into our watersheds daily.

Debbi
who is clearly in a sour mood, induced by the fact that her car is *again* in
the shop for the third time in 2 months, for the same problem! <snarls>