This is very nice theory if and only if you don't do statistical analysis
and don't believe in positive feedback cycles, don't care what happens to
billions of people over decades, etc.

Here is where you differ with 96% of people.  Most people don't worry about
the purity of the economic system.  They worry about their lives and the
lives of the other people in the nation and the world.

Whenever I tried to engage you in empirically based discussions (which have
to include discussions of techniques because techniques are the key to good
experimentation and modeling and are thus essential to developing any
theory), you fell back on libertarian polemics.  For example, when you put
forth a libertarian understanding of the Great Depression, I wanted to
discuss historical numbers, techniques, etc....the sort of thing any
experimentalist would want to discuss in evaluating the theory.  You
considered this changing the subject.

You also have stated that the burden of proof does not fall equally on every
viewpoint, but falls solely on those that differ with you.  This technique
has a long bad history, recently used by the creationist but also used by
astrologers, reflexologists, etc.  Everything that you write is written as
if it comes from a position that Objectivism is a priori correct.

You may not have read much Rand, but your arguments parallel hers.  Perhaps
you read her followers, peers, or those who came before her.  This post
sounds like it could have been written by one of the Social Darwinists of
the roaring 20s.

So, in yet another futile attempt to engage in a discussion of economics on
an empirical instead of philosophical basis, let me make one general, well
accepted statement about economics and see if you accept it.

During downturns where what looked like safe investments turned out to be
very risky, people and institutions become loath to loan money to any but
those that pose the least investment risk.  (e.g. after 1 AAA rated firm
went bankrupt and a number more were saved only by government bailout,
people turn a jaundiced eye to any loan that is AAA rated or worse and tend
to seek safer havens than AAA bonds).

Dan M.