Original Message:
-----------------
From: xponentrob xponent...@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:56:08 -0600
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com
Subject: Re: Scouted: U.S. to collapse in next two years?

----- Original Message -----
From: <dsummersmi...@comcast.net>
To: <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 12:00 PM

>>Since then, I've been seeing promises of competative electric cars.  When
>>gas prices were at $4.50/gallon, the premium for hybrids was within $1000
>>of being a wash.  But, now that prices are back close to $1.50 (around
here
>>at least....but when we were up near $4.50, I'd guess you were higher too)
>>hybrid sales are falling like a rock.

>Aren't overall vehicle sales been "falling like a rock"?
>SUV/Truck sales have been getting a larger share of the pie of late, but
as
>I understand it all sales are down and this is why *all* automakers are
>having troubles.

But, hybrid sales are falling much faster.  The latest comparison I got was
through November, and (according to the eia), gas prices fell 20% from
November to December.

>From

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/04/r-l-polk-co-ana.html

<quote>
Sales of the market-leading Prius were down 48.3% to 8,660—its lowest sales
month since January 2007. Camry Hybrid sales were off 57.5%, down to 2,174
units. That accounted for 8.6% of all Camry sales. Total Camry sales for
the month were down 28.8%. Sales of the Highlander Hybrid were down 64.8%
to 907 units, representing 11.5% of all Highlander models sold. Total
Highlander sales were down 35.9% in the month.
<end quote>

So, as of November, they are dropping by about a factor of 2 more than the
same gas powered models.  Car sales are dropping, hybrid sales are dropping
much faster. And, while I don't have the details available, indications are
that the relative slide continues.  In a couple of months, we'll see if
there's a bottom.  If not, hybrid sales will drop to the point where the
sales become insignificant.

Dan M.