Trent Shipley wrote:
I wrote a suggestion to my Arizona State legislators about de-funding
the state universities in favor of tuition vouchers.
Dear Senator Linda Gray, Representative Doug Quelland, and Representative Jim Weiers,
“Be it resolved that the mission of Arizona's public institutions of higher education is to educate undergraduates and train graduates for essential professions.”

Trent--

Hi.  It's interesting.  I wonder about the last bit,
though.  How does one tell whether or not a profession
is "essential"?  (I can certainly name some that I feel
are NOT essential, but let's get beyond our personal biases.)

One answer may be "a profession is essential as long as
people in it manage to find work".  Markets certainly
don't solve everything, but may be giving information
about the relative importance of various kinds of work.  : )

                                ---David