David Hobby wrote:
> Trent Shipley wrote:
>> I wrote a suggestion to my Arizona State legislators about de-funding
>> the state universities in favor of tuition vouchers.
>>> Dear Senator Linda Gray, Representative Doug Quelland, and
>>> Representative Jim Weiers,
>>> “Be it resolved that the mission of Arizona's public institutions of
>>> higher education is to educate undergraduates and train graduates
>>> for essential professions.”
>
> Trent--
>
> Hi.  It's interesting.  I wonder about the last bit,
> though.  How does one tell whether or not a profession
> is "essential"?  (I can certainly name some that I feel
> are NOT essential, but let's get beyond our personal biases.)
>
> One answer may be "a profession is essential as long as
> people in it manage to find work".  Markets certainly
> don't solve everything, but may be giving information
> about the relative importance of various kinds of work.  : )
>
>                 ---David

Taxpayers tend to see the Universities exclusive mission as training
(not educating) their kids to get a certificate that will let the kid be
middle class.  In short we pay taxes for undergraduate education NOT
research or grad school.  I imagined the state department of education
defining some professional level degrees like Medicine, Master of
Nursing, M.Ed. and D.Ed., Masters of Engineering, MSW as essential for
Arizona.  Others, like Law, MFA, or a PhD in Astronomy would be elective
and unsubsidized.  Some, notably the profitable hard sciences, like
geology, biology, or chemistry, might qualify for partial subsidy.