On Aug 12, 2009, at 10:02 PM, Dan M wrote:

No, that is the fault of the laws as written. The problem with the court system is that they do not understand enough to enforce the laws as written.

There is also the problem of laws written by people who often fail to anticipate the unintended consequences of the laws they write, compounded by the fact that people still don't approach legislation the way they do software design and testing.

I still think version control, requirements management, and user acceptance testing have very definite roles to play in the development of legislation, and I'd still like to see alpha and beta level testing with bug tracking, or a very close analogue, employed in the rollout of new legislation. But I'm kind of a voice in the wilderness on that one ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn and twisted metal."