At 04:42 PM Sunday 9/6/2009, dsummersmi...@comcast.net wrote:

Original Message:
-----------------
From: John Williams jwilliams4...@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:00:11 -0700
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com
Subject: Re: DeLong on health insurance reform

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM,
dsummersmi...@comcast.net<dsummersmi...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Actually, consumer driven health care supporters are where some of the
>opposition to additional government control of the health care market
>is coming from.

Some, but I can quote data concerning age groups and their
viewpoints....and guess which age group really doesn't want change....the
age group on social security.

> The freedom you are talking about in a real free market is the freedom to
> die for many people.

>No, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about freedom to
>choose what to do with one's money.

And when you don't have the money because your options for getting money
are don't match the cost of insurance or healthcare.  It's the freedom to
die.

Which is why I suggest that finding a way to get costs under control is more important than focusing on "covering the uninsured": getting the costs back down so people can afford to go to the doctor or get medicine like they could when many of us were younger rather than having to turn to insurance for pretty much everything will solve the latter problem for many who currently can't afford it.

. . . ronn!  :)