At 05:36 PM Sunday 9/6/2009, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Ronn! Blankenship < ronn_blankens...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Some people fear that government-run health care will feature all the cleanliness and maintenance standards of Walter Reed combined with the prompt service for which the DMV is famous and the compassion of the IRS, and want to know what guarantees there will be that it will be like the things government does well instead of the things that make the news as scandals or annoy and frustrate almost everyone who has to deal with them . . .

Now, now, don't be bringing reasonable arguments into this discussion.  That would ruin everything.

Sorry.  :D

(Though you could have responded like the person on another list who accused me of "parroting the Republican talking points" when I described situations I myself have encountered . . . ;))

In other words, I think you hit a real issue on the head.

As I said, many of the questions I have concern things I or people I know well (e.g., family and RL friends) have encountered with the current system (or patchwork of systems, if that is a better description) . . .

That question is answered for me partly by the fact that the federal government does run some things very efficiently and some of those things are health care.  For example, the VA, though it is given inadequate resources, is incredibly efficient in what it delivers.

Except to the people who have tried to get help there and not been able to get what they needed.  (Perhaps for a very good reason, in that they needed something that is not part of "what it [the VA] delivers," but then going elsewhere requires (financial) resources they didn't have . . . )

. . . ronn!  :)