On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Doug Pensinger <brig...@zo.com> wrote:

> I saw Avatar last night in the Imax/3D format.  It was by far the most
> awesome audio/visual experience I've ever had.  The story was fair to
> good, but the eye candy was spectacular.  I wouldn't have thought I
> could get vertigo while sitting in a comfortable arm chair.  Cool; see
> it and pay the extra for Imax.

I saw the IMAX 3D version yesterday as well.  It's fantastic.  I normally
don't care for 3D movies, but a reviewer I trust that normally hates 3D said
it was the first 3D movie that made him realize the potential it has, so I
decided to give it a shot.  After a minute or two to get used to it, it
pretty much felt natural and doesn't make you "think" about the 3D.  There's
no "comin' at ya!" effects, as far as I remember.

Even without the 3D, I suspect this will be a visually beautiful movie, but
with the IMAX screen and 3D, it's awesome.  I thought the story was good -
not terribly original, but well-told.  Probably my favorite movie this year.