At 02:34 AM Thursday 12/24/2009, Bruce Bostwick wrote:
On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Max Battcher wrote:

On 12/23/2009 13:11, Julia wrote:
When I've seen the preview, I've had "uncanny valley" issues.  I
don't think
I could sit through the whole thing without having a brain-ache.  :(

I don't think the previews do justice to the film because this
really is one of those rare films that needs 3D to do it justice and
is better the bigger the screen that you watch it on.

I particularly think the "uncanny valley" issues with the film
dissolve the more you let the film immerse you and large screens and
3D are key to that. This is something that James Cameron seems to
have known all along, and part of why it has become the message to
get out to encourage people to pay for that 3D or IMAX upgrade at
their local popcorn stadium.

I actually had few if any "uncanny valley" problems with it at all.  I
think one big factor was facial expressions -- this is the first movie
about which I've been able to say that the CG characters had a full
enough and rich enough range of expressions for the faces and
nonverbal cues to hold their own with the dialogue, and in fact
successfully replace it in ways that really surprised me.

But there was an incredible attention to detail all around, and it
required very little suspension of disbelief, and particularly
visually, less than I'm used to from most movies.  The previews really
don't do it justice at all, and I agree with Max that it's a movie
that does really need 3D to really get all of it.

As for the themes I found most interesting .. well, those would be
spoilers .. ;)

Here's an opinion from the NY Times that was reprinted here today:

“It’s fitting that James Cameron’s “Avatar” arrived in theaters at Christmastime. Like the holiday season itself, the science fiction epic is a crass embodiment of capitalistic excess wrapped around a deeply felt religious message. It’s at once the blockbuster to end all blockbusters, and the Gospel According to James.

“But not the Christian Gospel. Instead, “Avatar” is Cameron’s long apologia for pantheism ­ a faith that equates God with Nature, and calls humanity into religious communion with the natural world. ”

Complete article:

Op-Ed Columnist - Heaven and Nature - NYTimes.com - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/opinion/21douthat1.html
http://tinyurl.com/ye43c8x

(Reading nytimes.com articles may require free registration.)

FYI Maru

. . . ronn!  :)