On 29 Dec 2009 at 22:22, Trent Shipley wrote:

> The potential participant says he hates MediaWiki because it was
> designed with a flat user model.  It has no built in hierarchy and we

No, I hate it because it's basically the lowest common denomiator of
wiki-dom. It does a lot of things, but it's a pain in the ass in some
ways for them all. Also, it handles authentication very very badly
indeed (and in an extremely blunt manner), and that is going to be
necessary.

> I have a database background, the news that Foswiki does NOT use a RDBMS
> as a back end set off all kinds of alarms.

Fos(T)wiki is used in some pretty big corperate installs. The only
real kicker is that if you're using a really (50,000 page+) wiki
you're going to want to use a search engine and not the inbuilt
search.

There's an inbuilt cache engine, several additional cache engines avaliable
and you can even load-balance if you need to. The cache engine is currently
being re-written for the next major release, too.

>    1. Is Foswiki a good candidate for our encyclopedia project?

I'd argue so.

>    2. How do you store your data?

Flat file.

>    3. Why is your storage as reliable as MySQL?

Foswiki is considered *extremely* reliable. It's primary goal is for
enterprise usage.

>    4. How do I back up your wiki?

You can do a straight file copy, or generate single backup files
using a plugin, of either the entire wiki or of individual webs
within it.

>    6. Can I run 24/7/365?

Major (Fortune 500) companies do with Foswiki.

>    7. Our project leader is not only talented technically, he is a good
>       marketer.  We plan to be _very_ successful.  How does Foswiki
>       scale?  What is the biggest Foswiki wiki today?

See above answers.

There's an effective page limit per-web (20,000), but you are not
limited in the number of webs and users you can create.

The biggest? Probably Google or Nokia's installs. (Foswiki is the
direct successor of Twiki, having taken along basically all the core
devs except two)

AndrewC