On Apr 28, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Doug Pensinger wrote:

Facebook is the only social network I frequent and while I think it's
great and has its place, it's a terrible forum for any kind of serious
political debate.  For one thing, many of the people you know
intimately are probably there, and if they are people you wouldn't
want to debate at the dinner table (because you don't want to promote
discord) then you probably don't want to get into it with them on
Facebook either.  And really, that's not what Facebook is for anyway,
its more of a hey look at these pictures of my kids or hey isn't this
a funny video or (for some) hey I just trimmed my toenails kind of
place.

Facebook is a pretty terrible forum for almost anything serious. I've never seen a site that seems to discourage any kind of in depth discussion so effectively by design. The "notes" feature is the closest thing it has to an actual writing-based feature, and even that is hidden away from the main page out of sight and only quoted there in brief snippets.

Not that that has stopped me from expressing my opinion there now and then. 8^)

Nor has it stopped me. :D

"It's Throw Open Our Doors to People Who Want to Discuss Things That We Could Care Less About Day." -- Toby Ziegler