Dan Minette

> That's what makes the Tea Party so interesting.  They are actually small
> government believers.  I don't say I agree with them, I have strong
> differences with them, but their candidates do have a self-consistent
> message.  I think most folks at their rallies don't think through their
> viewpoints.

I have nothing but contempt for the tea party.  For all appearances
they are people with shrill voices and no real ideas and their leaders
and candidates are consummate idiots.  I suspect that a large
percentage of them are people that, not having voted or having any
particular interest in politics prior to, woke up on November 5, 2008
and were outraged when they found out that there was going to be a
n***er in the white house.

>>Well, they didn't do it in '08, and I'm still optimistic about this
>>year.
>
> I'm not.  Nate Silver's fivethirtyeight.com has been pretty good at analysis
> and they point to a Republican house and the Democratic lead in the Senate
> down to 52-48 as the average number.  He was within 2 electoral votes last
> time, he was a sabermetrics guru and his posts have the feel of good
> technical analysis.
>
> It's the economy, stupid, and this is the worst rebound from a recession
> since the Great Depression.  I think this is outside of either party's
> control; the best that can be done is to support something that will help
> over the next decade.  BTW, I think that California has just seen the tip of
> the iceberg with regards to its problems.  For example, why should someone
> build a new high tech enterprise in pricy San Jose instead of cheap
> Raleigh-Durham or Austin?
>
> California has put itself in a box and I'd expect housing prices to drop
> another factor of before it can start to rebound.  Now, there's a topic we
> can debate. :-)

Well I hope they don't move anymore businesses here because the
freeways are more crowded than they have ever been.   I wouldn't put
money on prices going down much more.  You can move a building to
Detroit.  Moving the talent and the silicon valley dynamic is another
question.

Doug