On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:53 AM, John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Julia <ju...@zurg.net> wrote:
"The old people" don't equate to "the old culture". There's a fairly large intersection of the two, but neither is a subset (proper or improper) of the
other.

I understand that, but as you say, "there's a fairly large
intersection of the two".
I agree, which is why I posed my question. I don't think the fact that
there is not a perfect correspondence of "old culture" with "old
people" answers my question.

It's not an absolute correlation.

I fit many people's profile of "old people". Maybe only by a few years, but I'm definitely at least partially stuck in that cubbyhole.

But I'm pretty far out on the bleeding edge of "new culture", at least in the sense of this current cultural conflict, and plan to stay there as long as possible. And I know people far more into the age range of what's culturally considered "old people" who are at least as many sigmas out from the mean in my direction as I am, if not more. Granted, my corner of the Venn diagram is a lonely one, but it's not completely uninhabited ..

"Almost nothing that trickles down is fit to consume." -- Davidson Loehr