On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Dan Minette <danmine...@att.net> wrote:

> they give the average starting salary for an EE in the US as 59,646, but in
> the SF area it is about 74,700.  So, that is about a 25% premium.  At
> simplyhired.com they state that the average EE salary in the SF area is
> $87k/year.  That's not bad money, but you can't buy a million dollar house
> with it.
>
> Housing prices are about 6x higher in the Bay area than in the Austin area.
> Salaries for engineers are 25% higher.

It sounds like the SF Bay area is more likely to appeal to single
engineers willing to live in a small apartment and spend all their
time at work. As compared to Austin, which sounds like it may appeal
more to a young married couple just starting a family. I wonder if the
SF tech firms are counting on that.