> > Jon Mann wrote:
> > For me time is too precious to waste playing video
> games. I canceled my cable and minimized my time on Facebook
> because they were cutting into my reading time.

> For me, video games, especially played with my son, are
> more valuable/enjoyable than most other forms of
> entertainment, perhaps more so because they involve thinking
> and engagement, rather than merely receiving them. The $60
> or so that I spent on Fallout 3 bought me roughly 300 hours
> of entertainment, much of it with my son at my side,
> laughing along with me as various denizens of the
> post-apocalypse got the better of me. Seems like a pretty
> good deal.
> Yes, I know that "superior" people are supposed by other
> "superior" people to be above enjoying video games, but I
> guess I'm just not that "superior".
> Dave

> I really don't do video games much anymore because it's not
> something my
> wife enjoys; it's just the two of us, and we are on a
> lake.  So, there are a
> few shows that I watch on TV as a means of sharing company
> in the evening,
> with a book in my lap, while she works on her take home work
> from church
> (I'm doing most of the housework because I only work 40-50
> hours a week at
> my paid job).
> But, she agreed to go sailing with me if I got a sailboat
> she can get on,
> she has artificial knees and can't go down far from the
> dock, crawl on her
> knees, etc.  So, I just ordered a 16 foot cat that can
> be sailed with 1-6
> people.
> I think what is superior is that when we are crazy busy, and
> have little
> free time is to not spend it alone....particularly if we
> work alone (as I do
> most of the time).  So, my feeling is that the sharing
> with your son is
> integral to the value of the fun.
> As I see 60 just over the horizon, I don't want 20 more
> years to slip away
> without spending as much time as I can with those I
> love.  So, video games
> would not be a good option for me, but sounds like a great
> one for you.  A
> classic YMMV, IMHO. :-)
> Dan M.

Whew, thanks for that, Dan; sorry if I came off as if I was superior because
reading is a priority for me, Dave.  I saw my 9 year old son, this fathers'
day.  He wasn't interested in the soccer or volley balls I got him and just
wanted to play DS Mario, so I spent most of my visitation giving my thumbs a
workout.  Maybe I would enjoy it more if we played Fallout, but his helicopter
mother would never allow it.  What I really would like to see is my son reading
the juvenile Heinlein books I tried to interest him him but he says reading is
boring.  He prefers to spend his time watching cartoons and playing video
games.  When I was his age, I played baseball until it was too dark to see.
Jon