On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 07:17:25 -0200, ALBERTO VIEIRA FERREIRA MONTEIRO <albm...@centroin.com.br> wrote:
So... What about Obama's reelection?

Here in Brazil, we had the impression that the Republicans "chose" the
worst possible candidate, someone they put there to lose. Or maybe the
Democrats voted in the Republican primaries to make him win.

I've got a somewhat different take on it from Dan, I think. The extreme 'right' in the Republican party is a shrinking minority, however little they want to admit the fact, and however voluble their protests to the contrary might be. Rick Perry is an example of the kind of candidate they would have preferred. The Republican mainstream probably knew better; if they felt the same way as the extremists Perry would have floated a lot longer than he did. Of all the other candidates, Ron Paul seemed the most sensible, but he had two things going against him: 1. He had a history of permitting extremely racist sentiments to be promulgated under his imprimatur; and 2. He was far, far more intelligent than any of the other candidates and, indeed, a fair margin of the electorate. Americans shy away from intelligence. So no, Romney was the best pick of the available options, as far as the Republicans saw him, I think. He wasn't *too* smart, wasn't *too* radically 'right', wasn't *too* moderate/centrist. He also wasn't too consistent, as his constantly changing campaign evidenced (he was reversing himself a couple of times a month by the end). No one deliberately floats a candidate they think will lose - what would the profit be in that? And if the Democrats had been stealth voting to undermine the Republicans, they would've picked someone clearly batshit loony, like Perry.
Did anyone over there ever think that Mitt Romney had _any_ chance?

Well, all but about 225,000 voters, yes. That's how narrow the popular vote margin was, last time I checked, between Obama and Romney. Dan was right about the debate performance, as well. Romney came out swinging and clobbered Obama in the first debate. The second and third were solid comebacks, though the third debate - being about foreign policy - was not watched by many Americans. (Our foreign policy is 'kill em all and let god sort em out'.)

Biden did pretty well against Ryan in the VP debates, as well, calling him out repeatedly whenever he went outside the bounds of what most of us call 'reality'. Obama did the same thing with the second debate, calling Romney out when he lied, letting himself talk himself into corners, and so on. Nonetheless, Romney's approval went way, way up after the first debate, and it really did seem to energize him and his supporters. The electoral map doesn't show just how close the popular vote really was - and it was close.
 --
Warren Adams-Ockrassa