I didn't realize how unclear it is whether Reagan and other top officials
regarded it as a bluff or not, until I poked around a bit just now.  Easy
to see how they might have started off serious, then decided to re-write
history and say it was all a bluff.  I have some up-close and personal
experience with the Reagan White House rewriting history - their version
persists in most peoples' minds still; when I tell my version, most people
are still surprised.  Shows the power of the bully pulpit, sure was
interesting to see it first-hand.

Nick