I just thought I would write up some of the coaching I have been doing all
week with a bunch of kids in Ellesmere Port. The pay was good, the children
great, and possibly some real stars for the future. I also used a disc game
which they insisted on playing every day, and which I have used successfully
on numerous open-access play days.

Frisbee Death (I think I first called this frisbee tag, but Alistair Cambell
told me to change it to this sexier title)

Everyone plays inside a marked area about the size of an endzone. One disc
is used, and the aim is to throw the disc at anyone to hit them (head shots
are discouraged). Usual Ultimate rules apply in that the person with the
disc cannot move, everyone else can run away or get as close as they dare.
If the disc hits anyone before it hits the ground, that person is 'out' and
is a prisoner of the thrower. They remain outside the marked area until the
person who caught them is out of the game. People can also be out by having
their throw caught (before it hits the ground). If only two people are left
inside the area (I.e. everyone else is a prisoner of one of them) then
everyone comes back in to the game (we don't like outright winners)

The result is a game that is instant for kids to understand, very fast
moving, initially rewards poor throwers (whose throws tend to go in to the
ground, or are quite uncatchable), rapidly improves people's catching
skills, and throws up some surprising team work. We normally have to
introduce a couple of extra rules like you cannot throw it twice in a row
unless you get someone out with a shot, dangerous play (thrown too fast at
someone very close) results in losing your prisoners and dropping out until
someone else is caught out, etc.

As far as the coaching was concerned, Paulo and I were hired to run two 2
hours sessions a day for 5 days this week at a Sports Centre in Ellesmere
Port. We had up to 15 children attending (6 girls, 2 of whom I reckon will
make the GB Girls team by next year), with most of them coming to every
session. The children were aged 9-14, and the progress in just a week was
immense. Most of them are now totally hooked (one 11 year old looks like a
future GB Women's captain as she not only plays basketball, netball and
football - she went to Man United on Wednesday to train and they asked her
to join their girls team, and she told them she would rather play frisbee!)
All of them got certificates, discs (cheers Jamie for still selling discs to
juniors at �4) and medals at the end of the week. It was fun making up
titles for each of them to 'win' - MVP, D-Monster, MIP, MPP (Most promising
player), MIA (Most improved attitude - OK, so we were starting to struggle
by then), etc.

I've seen requests before from places like Stockport Council, Ealing
Council, etc. asking for people willing to coach some youngsters. If you get
a chance to get involved in something like this, please do so. We really
need more juniors to be playing the sport in this country. It's fantastic
that GB Juniors can now go to tournaments like Europeans with a real chance
of winning, but out of a squad of 18 juniors, only 5 of them are young
enough to play next year. Catch them at 11, and we'll have them in the GB
Juniors / GB Girls team for 6 years.

Kevin.
---
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Tel: 07973 482098
| The enemy isn't the other side, wherever they draw the line
| The enemy is the ruling class that draws the bloody line.
|    - Robb Johnson

__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to