Do you really think that ultimate is at the stage were there is even a danger that people will take performance enhancing drugs?
I have problems with the nebulous concept of 'best interests of the sport'. What happens if that doesn't match with the best interests of the people who play that sport?
I don't want to see physio enhancing drugs in the ultimate any more than the next man, but who believes there is a danger of that? Seriously? Maybe someone closer to the current GB squad knows something I don't? (maybe that's why the GB player beat me to the disc at practice last night?)
Sod the whole "shut up and trust other people to take the non-reactionary decisions in the best interests of the sport" line. I play this sport because I love it. Ultimate is so fucking fantastic partly because it is so easy to get involved. I don't see any gain by this step in the short or medium term (who do we think they are trying to catch) just the potential for crap with comes along with the baggage. Maybe you will be old and grey by the time UKU events are drug tested, maybe I will too, but I don't want my sport, to go down this route. Not before there is a need.
And no I am not hiding my secret use of 'Cannabinoids' behind the 'No dope testing line' because it's been a good number of years since I've even passively partaken. It's all the "potentially having to jump through hoops to be able to play" stuff that gets me.
ben
On 12 May 2004, at 15:24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks to Aura for clearing up that its still ok to use cannabinoids etc as
long as you can establish that their use was not intended to enhance
performance e.g. "for the treatment of chronic diseases. Such as itchy
scrot." innit!
However, I disagree with Patrick that this is a decision requiring a
referendum (or similar). It's not OUR sport, and neither do I believe that
WFDF or anyone else should represent 'us'. Any organisation involved with
running the sport should have the best interests of the sport as the
driving force behind every decision, and I'm fairly sure that it holds true
in this instance. To follow the choices of the largely ill informed
majority because they play Ultimate, rather than the individuals that have
taken responsibility for its administration, is reactionary, short-termist,
and frankly a step backwards. How many teams have a show of hands prior to
every point to decide which way to force……I thought so! You all
leave it up to the people responsible for making that decision, because
you, and they, have realised that's the best way to run a team
(organisation).
The real issue here is "do you want (e.g.) Germany to beat GB because
they've been taking anabolic steroids?" No you don't, and if that means
that a minority of recreational drug users have their noses put out of
joint, then so be it. Our National teams should be pushing the boundaries
of sporting excellence, and if that goes hand in hand with knowing what you
can and cannot take, then we're catching up with the other sports. This
decision will affect the (circa) 100 GB players going to Worlds this year,
a tiny percentage of the Ultimate community. The rest of us don't need to
worry, as we'll all be old and grey by the time they start testing at Tour
events.
Ping!
Jaimie
PS Just say No.
Jaimie Cross General Secretary #7 LeedsLeedsLeeds 078767 51813 __________________________________________________ BritDisc mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp
__________________________________________________ BritDisc mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://pootle.near.me.uk/mailman/listinfo/britdisc Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp
