Dear All,

Apologies if this does not directly concern you.
Apologies for not writing sooner - I've been away.

On Thursday 8 July, around 9.30pm a jumbled message to Britdisc was sent
with my email address in the Sender line.
This message did not come from me.
I emailed the postmaster for my email service and he sent the reply copied
bellow.

Please read this and see if it applies to you.
Computer viruses are a real problem and often do not show up until they
infect another PC.  I urge all Britdisc users to keep virus checking
software up to date and to be extra vigilant.
If anyone has any queries about this matter please email me off list to
discuss this further.  Thank you.

Gordon.
FlyghtClub #19


"The explanation might be that someone else on the britdisc list

(who uses NTL, and possibly lives in or near Northampton)

has a virus.  The virus searches a computer and sends email using random
addresses as 'To' and 'From' addresses.  So it could have picked
[EMAIL PROTECTED] as the To address and your email as the 'From'
address.

I say NTL Dial-up and Northampton because the sending machine's IP
address is 62.253.48.1 (m1-mp1.cvx2-a.nth.dial.ntli.net) and this
belongs to (using a WHOIS lookup):

inetnum:      62.253.32.0 - 62.253.63.255
netname:      NTL
descr:        NTL Internet
descr:        Northampton site

I've filed a report with NTL, so hopefully they'll look into it (but I
cannot guarrantee anything!)."


__________________________________________________
BritDisc mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://zion.ranulf.net/mailman/listinfo/britdisc
Staying informed - http://www.ukultimate.com/informed.asp

Reply via email to