On Mar 23, 2015, at 2:05 PM, Kalpit Thakkar <ceasy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sean!
> I was thinking of proposing another project and I would like to work on this
> project. I checked past 3-4 years' projects, but there hasn't been any
> efforts in this direction.

Indeed.  It’s not a hard project, algorithmically speaking, but nobody has yet
put forth a quality proposal to work this area.

> So, according to the description there, BoT has a raytracing routine that,
> when finds an "in" point for a ray, due to extremely thin surface, assigns
> the "out" point as the "in" point + the implicit thickness added to each
> coordinate of "in" point and I would have to implement the same methodology
> for NURBS surfaces now.
>
> To analyze the problems that I would face in implementing the plate mode
> raytracing for NURBS, I would have to understand exactly how raytracing NURBS
> works. So, is there any specific resource that might help me understand this
> aspect quickly?

Nope.  Understanding how NURBS ray tracing works is not something that can be
achieved quickly.

But you don’t really need to understand it.  You need to understand what
plate-mode means — and more specifically you need to understand BRL-CAD’s
existing plate-mode implementation for triangle meshes.  If you understand
that, you’ll know exactly what is needed for NURBS plate mode, even without
understanding NURBS ray tracing.  This requires a lot of reading of code and
playing with sample geometry.

Cheers!
Sean