On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Shubham Chauhan
<shubham13...@iiitd.ac.in> wrote:
> I was working on the model viewer of OGV (that specific page where the model
> is viewed).
> I wanted to get some inputs as to how we should change/upgrade that specific
> page, as far as back-end is concerned.
> What I have done is
>
> made the model movement (through cursor) really smooth.
> Added colors to our models (which is completely random, will change once you
> hit refresh)
> Added 2 button functions that 1). adds grid and axes over the model
>                                                 2). adds a layer of
> wire-frame over the model

That's good, would like to see the code.

> Inputs needed regarding: How can user viewing be made more nice?

There's one particular thing that needs huge improvement and that's
conversion from .g file to .obj files at backend. Currently the logic
goes like this

* .g file is uploaded
* it's converted into various obj files
* those obj files are copy pasted to a separate directory
* and then viewed

So clearly, there are two problems that obj files are duplicated in
two folders and there's an extra operation of copy pasting.
Eliminating one or both of these processes will IMO hugely optimize
the space used (almost half) and the time taken to load the model
after uploading.

Another thing that definitely needs improvement is when uploading
larger files (the files that have hundreds of obj files when
converted) it takes lot of time (due to so many requests being made).
So if there could be an option, a setting toggle that does not load
model at once but shows list of obj files. Clicking on the name of
that obj file then make request to the respective obj file and it's
loaded. This way if a user wants only small part of model for once, he
could do that. The old OGV (written in PHP) had  this functionality.

Another thing that can be improved in model viewer is the upload
percentage. The model object when being uploaded has a variable
uploaded percentage, but it has not just been shown on the front-end.
So if you can somehow expose that variable to be used at front-end, it
would be very valuable to Deepak I suppose.

Lastly, this may be kept for future is that some .g files give error
when being converted. I can send you those files. Here I am of opinion
that error is during conversion, and the work has to be done on
converter.

If you have any doubt, confusion or need a helping hand, don't
hesitate to ping me. Also, I might have missed a lot so let me know on
what codebase are you working ?