I can successfully download and compile on Ubuntu 14.04, I suggest the
following procedure

0. install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, make sure you have svn, g++, make, cmake (by
sudo apt-get install ...)
1. svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/brlcad/code/brlcad/trunk brlcad
2. cd brlcad and examine the CMakeLists.txt , you will notice the following
line
  # configuration build tools.  We want only two - Debug and Release.
3. mkdir build; cd build; (please create a ~/local directory before you
issue the following command)
  cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/local/rel-7.25.0
-DBRLCAD_BUNDLED_LIBS=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
now you should have a Makefile in your build directory
4. just type (in the build directory)
make

you should see
BRL-CAD Release 7.25.0, Build 20160308

5. now type
make test

you should see
The following tests FAILED:
   1 - NOTE: some 'test' tests are expected to fail, 'regress' must pass
(Failed)
 766 - regress-flawfinder (Failed)
 771 - regress-quote (Failed)
 772 - regress-rtwizard (Failed)