[quoted lines by John on 2023/12/15 at 15:23 +0000]

>As per advice, I disabled both services, but this unfortunately did not
>restore normality. In fact, the service was still being loaded as could be
>evidenced by running the 'ps -ef' command to show a list of running processes.

Disabling the brltty service doesn't prevent it from being automatically
started by a USB udev rule. If you really don't want a Systemd unit to start
then you need to systemctl mask it.

>I should point out that Arduino is not the only area of electronics that I
>work with, that also requires access to serial ports.

I hope it's okay for me to point out that Arduino and friends are just as much
to blame as brltty is. Brltty's problem is that some braille device
manufacturers don't bother customizing their USB vendor and product IDs. Yes,
they should do it. Also, however, so should Arduino and friends be doing
exactly the same thing. There'll always be such conflicts as long as whomever
doesn't stop using generic vendor/product IDs.

>Whereas I appreciate the necessity of having such software for those who
>need Braille, I don't understand why it was installed automatically as a
>mainstream service as part of an OS update?

So that blind people who use braille can actually read their screens. Try
closing your eyes, promising not to peak even once, and interact with your
system. It won't matter how well your monitor is working - you won't be able to
do it. Are you suggesting that blind people should only ever install a Linux
system when they have a sighted assistant?

>I would expect such a program to be installed on an as-needs basis?

Can you suggest a way to design it that way? Since you expect it to be that
way, you must have some idea regarding how to do it that way. A braille user
would be unable to make such a choice without first being able to read his/her
screen, which means, yes, that his/her braille deivce must already be working.
Let's call it one of those "catch 22" situations.

>Secondly, disabling the service ought to have been sufficient to prevent
>the software from disrupting the operation of the system, but it wasn't.

That's how Systemd units work. An equivalent, for example, would be how a
service unit is still automatically started if its corresponding socket unit is
activated.

>It had to be completely removed. Is this a bug? If so, where do I report
>it? I see the 'issues' function on the Github repository is not enabled.

No, it's not a bug. But, to answer your question, this inndeed is where to
report bugs.

>Thirdly, can the software be configured to ignore certain ports?

Brltty tries as hard as it can to only consider actual braille devices. As
mentioned above, however, we can't help it when some manufacturers choose to
use generic IDs and we also don't wish to exercise any control or influence
over which braille device any given user chooses to use.

Again, however, I'll ask why is it that Arduino feels that it's okay for it to
be using generic IDs. Does something make Arduino more important than a braille
device? Of course not! It's all a matter of personal perspective, and, to me,
that makes it wrong to favour one over the other.

>Finally, if a program or update is likely to disrupt what might
>generally be considered 'normal' operation of the system (I "generally"
>because I accept that for users of Braille, having brltty installed is
>their 'normal'), shouldn't the software at least warn the user of this
>and request confirmation before installing itself?

Again, how would you design it that way? How can a braille user read such a
warning and/or respond to such a confirmation before his/her braille device is
working?

Now that I've griped a bit at you, I'll tell you the simplest way to deal with
this issue. First, do:

   brltty --version

If it's earlier than 6.5 then your distribution is too old. As of brltty-6.5,
we split our USB rules into two - generic and customized. So, all you really
need to do is to ensure that you're at least at brltty-6.5 and then to
uninstall the generic USB rules package.

>I am curious as to how and why it suddenly appeared on my system.

Probably due to an upgrade to a newer brltty release which introduced support
for a braille device that's using the same generic IDs as you are.

EMail: d...@mielke.cc  | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |