Title: Share knowledge at  Buddhi Base

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

Messages

1.

Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia: In The Prison

Posted by: "John Kimbrough" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 8, 2006 9:00 pm (PST)

Reflections on Teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia:
In The Prison

“The practice of religion involves as a first
principle a loving, compassionate heart for all
creatures” - Fo-pen-hing-tsih-king – Chapter 12

We sometimes unwisely think of men and women in prison
as being dangerous, in there for a bonafide and
legitimate reason, as being lifelong criminals or
getting what they deserve, as not being able to change
or rehabilitate themselves, or as being ignorant and
stupid. Such assumptions show more ignorance on our
part then anything else.

Men and women make mistakes, sometimes ones that are
very stupid, but it does not mean that they are
hardened criminals, lifelong threats to society and
other people, or can not change.

The conditions that men and women must live in in a
Cambodian prison are quite harsh and I am sure that
anyone of them would gladly embrace the opportunity to
spend time in an American or western prison with all
of its amenities.

Having taught Yoga and Buddhism, and more infrequently
English in a local provincial prison in Cambodia on a
part - time and volunteer basis over the last year has
allowed this writer to grow as a human being and as
both a student and teacher of Yoga and Buddhism.

Much can be taken from such an experience and if seen
with understanding, balance and clarity by others,
used as a springboard for cultivating greater insight
within themselves.

The point is assisting others in anyway is something
that makes both ourselves better and more joyful
people and along the way can also bring something
worthwhile, meaningful and healthy into their lives
also.

We can do it in easy ways each day of our life
wherever we are, such as giving a friendly and sincere
smile to others, showing a sincere interest in their
health and well - being and that of their family, and
offering ourselves as someone who will listen to their
concerns regarding life and giving them insightful

Its called compassion and some of us, in our anxiety
and fear, lack of balance and focus, and tendency to
ill – will and anger have lost sight of how to live in
such a way.

It is not hard at all, though for some of us it may
take some painful work and changes to get it back or
make changes in our life that can bring it about.

We do not have to have all of the things in life that
we may selfishly or unwisely think of as being
necessary to enjoy and find satisfaction in it as a
prerequisite for being compassionate.

We also can not be wrapped up in or led astray by
thoughts, feelings and emotions based on jealousy and
envy.

The realities of life and the limitations of the body
humble us all and teach us that others share the same
loneliness and confusion at times that we do, and that
we all share the same fate.

We should be thankful for the health, peace, work,
opportunities and material and financial gifts that we
have in our life instead of getting lost in those
things within that create greater pain and disharmony
for both ourselves and in our relationships with
others.

Yoga and Buddhism both offer us a set of teachings and
practices that make us more mindful about ourselves
and others and allow us to act on that mindfulness in
a compassionate manner.

Right Understanding, the first step and foundation for
the practice of The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism,
is a set of teachings that we are all capable of
learning and understanding whether we are in a prison
in Cambodia or America or a shack in India or a
penthouse in New York.

The Yoga and Buddhist teachings and disciplines are
both universal in scope and application and will bring
benefits to all who take some time to learn and apply
them.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough (johnckimbrough@yahoo.com)

Yours in Yoga,

John

Sponsored Link

Get an Online or Campus degree
Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in less than one year.
http://www.findtherightschool.com

2.

Anxiety, Anger and Abusive Tendencies – The Ills of Modern Life

Posted by: "John Kimbrough" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Wed Nov 8, 2006 9:15 pm (PST)

Anxiety, Anger and Abusive Tendencies – The Ills of
Modern Life and Living

“Provide new guards for their future security” – The
American Declaration of Independence

This last week seems to have been as disturbing and
depressing as any week in these modern times.

We had the President of the United States and his
advisors accused of deception and outright lying by a
famous journalist, a congressmen accused of making
sexual overtures to an underage boy, and the execution
style murder of five young girls in a rural
schoolhouse in Pennsylvania.

Again, all of this took place in a country and among a
people who like to or tend to think of themselves as
somehow being a great democracy or somehow more
enlightened then the rest of the world.

We can only be thankful that a majority of Americans
do not engage in or condone such actions but if one
does look at the assortment of crimes that are and
have been committed over the years, it is pretty
obvious that a number of people in America have lost
their way.

It seems that the ills of modern life, those being
anxiety, anger and abusive tendencies to oneself and
others are manifesting themselves quite strongly among
the Americans.

This is both unfortunate and sad because the American
people and The United States have given the world and
humanity a great many things that are to be treasured
and made life better and more enjoyable for all.

Of course, some would question whether we really need
to watch television or play on the computer each day
to the extent that we do and if these things really do
improve our lives in the long run.

If we look at The American Declaration of
Independence, we will find that the founding fathers
who had great wisdom and insight into the human
condition and experience wanted us to be on guard
against those things that would harm our security.

The security referred to was not only an external one
but an internal one.

Yoga and Buddhism tell us that those things that can
do us the strongest short - term harm and long - term
damage are not things external but states of mind and
consciousness within.

They will also tell us that it is the uncontrolled
growth and manifestation of these internal states that
leads to the problems among men and in the world, so
that greed and lust for individual desires becomes
something that can grow into conflict between men and
countries.

The same holds true for things such as ill – will,
delusion, aversion, attachment and egoism, that being
that they not only hurt us but lead to greater ills
for all mankind.

Anxiety, anger and abusive tendencies to both
ourselves and others may correctly point out what are
those things that we deal with or cause conflict so
often in modern life, but it is easy to see how they
are rooted in the very defilements and hindrances that
Yoga and Buddhism call our attention to, those being
things such as sensual desire, ill – will, anger,
egoism, clinging to life, aversion and attachment.

What Yoga and Buddhism suggest is that we understand
what those things are that are creating problems and
conflicts both within ourselves and with others and
when they do arise, be mindful of them, observe them
and learn and grow from this experience, instead of
blindly following or acting on them.

This is not an easy thing to do, especially when we
are caught up in a daily schedule and routine that is
hurried, hectic and one that perhaps we feel
resentment or anger to and about.

It can also be difficult for us to find new ways that
we have little or no doubt about bringing into our
lives and making time and effort for.

Having been involved in the teaching of Yoga for a
number of years, I have found, as other teachers of
Yoga have, that it is easier and more comfortable for
people to read a book, chat with their friends, watch
a movie or drink a glass of wine then to sit still and
watch themselves for a short period of time each day
or likewise bend and twist the body in ways that
improve its functioning and performance.

The world and the individuals in any country, culture
and society will continue to suffer from anxiety,
anger and abusive tendencies to themselves and others
more in the coming years, as the climate changes, the
threat of war hangs over us, and water and oil
resources become scarcer.
It is easy to see that we as both individuals and
mankind need to make an effort to work on ourselves at
this time in history and our life so that we live a
life that is both simpler and more compassionate.

Yoga and Buddhist teachings can bring us to such a
state and also provide new guards for our future
security.

©2006 John C. Kimbrough

Yours in Yoga,

John

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Mail

Get it all!

With the all-new

Yahoo! Mail Beta

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Need to Reply?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BuddhiBase
http://www.buddhibase.org

To subscribe, send an blank email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BuddhiBase Team (Muthu Veerappan, Mohamed Nisar & Vivekhanandam)