Congratulations, Jürgen! I discovered your book even before you announced it. I was looking for *something* about APL and there it was.
Books on Demand is quite expensive, though. Are you planning a digital release as well? Best regards, Robin On Sun Sep 27, 2026 at 21:10:17 GMT +02, Dr. Juergen Sauermann via Bugs and suggestions for GNU APL wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm happy to announce that I've finished a book about GNU APL: > > *The GNU APL Bible: Implementing APL in C++* > > It's a 324-page, chapter-by-chapter walk through the actual > implementation: the core data model (Value, Shape, ravel, the Cell > hierarchy), the execution pipeline (tokenizer, parser, prefix, the > state indicator), built-in functions and operators, symbol and > workspace management, and the more advanced corners -- the libapl > embedding API, native functions and auxiliary processors, parallel > execution, the WebSocket/GUI interfaces, and the Windows port. A final > part is aimed squarely at anyone who wants to contribute: navigating > the source tree, common maintenance tasks, debugging techniques, and > the Savannah/mailing-list workflow itself. Style is deliberately > modeled on Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" -- annotated code > listings, historical notes, and exercises at the end of each chapter. > > A free preview -- front cover, the full table of contents (with the > same page numbers as the printed book), the preface, and Chapters 1-3 > in full -- is at *HOWTOs/Bible/Bible-Preview.pdf* in your *SVN 2128* or > *Git* checkout (just *svn up*, or *git pull*), or directly from Savannah: > > http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/apl/trunk/HOWTOs/Bible/Bible-Preview.pdf > > Detailed ordering instructions for the whole book are at the end of > the preview. > > I hope this is a useful companion for anyone maintaining, extending, > or just curious about what's actually going on inside GNU APL. > > Best regards, > Jürgen -- @ii._._.*.._+__.+_+.+...+.+.++..+*+.+._.+...*_*.*.__+__._._.++..+_*.++__+__ .+_..*...+.+_+__.+._.+...*_+_+__._ ...*_ +.+._.+.._+*+_+__._._ .+_..+.+***_ . *_+_+__.+.*.++..+_+.*.__+_ _.+...*_*_+__.++*.+...++..+* +.+.._+__._+_.+.. .++..+*_.*...+*+.+.*_ +*+i2^rj.u#__%uu#_.%uu#_+%uu#_*!+!0a"t1010^t^c^c'0a^# 1010"=d'0a-100000"=d'0auuqq*100+q[_^euu]uq-rq:^/100@oo,+,+,+oqq^t0uq@o*+*!!
signature.asc
Description: PGP signature
