On Sat, Oct 03, 2026 at 10:38:01PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote: > We don't need to support input files with CRLF line endings except perhaps > on MS-Windows-like platforms, despite the certainty expressed in the message > you are replying to. It's a unnecessary burden that we are free to reject.
I agree, but I do not think that it is wrong either, and to have the same output for tests on Windows and POSIX platform it would be handy. We could do it only if TEST is set, but always stripping a "trailing" CR seems to me to be ok. It should not be too complicated either, we could open in binary mode and remove a trailing CR, I think that we need to do that anyway on Windows to handle both CRLF and LF, vurrently (with Perl) we handle only LF on Windows, as far as I can tell (since a change I did to set binmode and decode each line instead of setting the encoding on the file descriptor). > I remember proposing that texi2any should always strip trailing whitespace > from lines to match the behaviour of TeX, but you (Patrice) didn't like > the idea (private mail, 2023-02-16). General whitespaces are different. -- Pat
