> From: Gavin Smith <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2026 09:59:33 +0100
> 
> The initial email in the thread said there were test
> failures on MSYS2.  I am not familiar with the details of every platform
> that runs on MS-Windows but is it possible that MSYS2 doesn't use CRLF line
> endings?  I read that it was based on Cygwin which uses (Unix-like) LF line
> endings, as far as I am aware.  However, as I understand MSYS2 is for building
> software on Windows, and is not a general purpose computing environment, so
> there may be nuances here that impact the issue.

It depends on the program the test suite runs.  If it runs an MSYS2
program, such programs behave like Posix: they write Unix-style EOLs
and do not strip CR characters on text-mode reads.  If the program is
a MinGW (a.k.a. native Windows) program, it does strip CR on input and
add them on output.

The difference is in the C runtime used by each kind of programs:
MinGW programs use the Windows runtime, whereas MSYS2 programs use
their own (Cygwin-derived) C runtime.

Texi2any is a native program for this purpose, but all the support
tools (Bash, Diff, Grep, Sed, etc.) are MSYS2 programs.

It is true that the main purpose of MSYS2 is to allow building
software by running Posix configure and build machinery, but in most
cases test suites also use Posix shell and support tools heavily, so
MSYS2 is also used to run the test suite.

HTH

Reply via email to