On Sat, Oct 03, 2026 at 07:58:07PM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 10/3/26 14:38, Gavin Smith wrote:
> > The claim that files should CRLF line endings should always be treated the
> > same as LF line endings appears to be based on wishful thinking rather than
> > reflecting common practice.
> 
> I made no claim about "common practice". My claim is that "best practice"
> is to treat LF and CRLF the same in most cases. There may be some cases where
> compatibility or historical or other reasons make that difficult,
> but I don't think there are any such reasons that apply for texinfo source 
> files.
> 
> What is the alternative? Is there any reason for a texinfo-processing program
> to handle CRLF differently from LF?

My concern is reliability and maintainability.

> If you prefer you can treat this as a special case of white-space at the end 
> of lines:
> If a program acts differently based on what kind if any invisible white-space 
> there is
> at the end of a line, that is a design flaw. Example: if a program uses 
> backslash-newline
> as a line-continuation indicator, it should allow and ignore arbitrary 
> horizontal white-space
> (space, tab, or cr) after the backslash.

That's my preference.

> All the text editors I tried (emacs, gedit, kate, vim - on Fedora) silently 
> open files
> with CRLF line endings, silently removing the CR.  I.e. cursor motion
> does not act as if there is an extra white-space character at the end of each 
> line.
> 
> Output files are a different matter. Generally, I believe it is OK to write
> output files using just LF even on Windows. (However, I don't have enough
> Windows experience to be sure,)
> -- 
>       --Per Bothner
> [email protected]   http://per.bothner.com/
> 

Reply via email to