> From: Gavin Smith <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2026 18:06:42 +0100
> 
> > > It reminds me of the broken "Cygwin/MinGW" platform which I believe was
> > > also on the Github CI.  I found some old emails about it.
> > 
> > It has something in common, in that it is a native Windows platform.
> > But the similarity ends there, since the shell is completly different in
> > the new platform and also probably the Windows runtime is different.  Eli
> > could correct me, but my understanding is that the new platforms are
> > more similar to the platform Eli tested previously, in particular the
> > platform he tested the previous release on.  But it is not the same
> > either, Eli platform is, to my understanding, oldish on some aspects,
> > one being the MS-Windows runtime (it is not clear to me what are the
> > other differences, if any).
> 
> As I remember there were (at least) two versions of the MinGW development
> tools, one with a website at mingw.org (which is no longer up), and another
> called mingw-w64, which is more actively developed.  I remember that Eli
> has built with the mingw.org MinGW in the past, which may be part of what
> you are remembering.

The differences between the old mingw.org's MinGW and MinGW64 should
be largely irrelevant for this discussion.  They mainly affect the
system headers, and the older variant doesn't have the capability to
link against the new UCRT runtime.  IME, neither of these two aspects
are important for the test suite.

> > The new platforms are supposed to be less broken than the "Cygwin/MinGW"
> > platform, and this is actually what I observe.
> > 
> > > So I recommend checking exactly what this platform is before spending any
> > > more time on it and whether it is a valid platform to be supporting.  Is
> > > it a MSYS2 build of texi2any (as Eli describes) or a MinGW build, for
> > > example?
> > 
> > It is both, as far as I understand.  Eli or Bruno could correct me, but
> > my understanding is that it is the modern way to build GNU/Posix
> > programs on native Windows environment.
> 
> I know MSYS2 is described as a way of building native (a.k.a. MinGW) programs.
> So I would expect the programs produced (texi2any etc.) to be native Windows
> programs - producing text files with CRLF line ending, for example.

Yes, any native program built from the Texinfo tarball will produce
CRLF on MS-Windows.

Reply via email to