On Fri, Oct 09, 2026 at 02:27:06PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2026 10:46:07 +0200
> > From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> > 
> > > It reminds me of the broken "Cygwin/MinGW" platform which I believe was
> > > also on the Github CI.  I found some old emails about it.
> > 
> > It has something in common, in that it is a native Windows platform.
> > But the similarity ends there, since the shell is completly different in
> > the new platform and also probably the Windows runtime is different.  Eli
> > could correct me, but my understanding is that the new platforms are
> > more similar to the platform Eli tested previously, in particular the
> > platform he tested the previous release on.  But it is not the same
> > either, Eli platform is, to my understanding, oldish on some aspects,
> > one being the MS-Windows runtime (it is not clear to me what are the
> > other differences, if any).
> 
> Since the compiler is Clang, it is different from GCC I use.

Sorry, I was not clear, I was speaking about the MSYS2 mingw gcc ucrt
platform here, not the MSYS2 mingw clang platforms.

> There's nothing more modern in using Clang instead of GCC.  Both are
> "modern" enough.  They are just different compilers, both targeting
> the same native Windows environment.

Again, here I was more speaking about the MSYS2 mingw gcc ucrt platform,
sorry, it wasn't clear.

> > The 2 MSYS2 mingw ucrt clang platforms do not have a shared libperl,
> > therefore it is not possible to build XS not ctexi2any.  But the tests
> > pass on these platforms.
> 
> The shared libperl DLL is part of the Perl installation.  If that DLL
> doesn't support Clang, then indeed one cannot build XS extensions with
> Clang.  Searching the Internet indeed indicates that native Windows
> ports of Perl do not yet support Clang-compiled XS extensions.  That
> might be a good reason to consider not supporting Clang on Windows in
> Texinfo, at least with XS, until MS-Windows Perl provides Clang
> support.

I fully agree.  Let's wait until there is a native Windows Clang-compiled
shared libperl, hopefully it should happen without more change than
following the https://github.com/msys2/setup-msys2 GitHub action updates
in the CI.

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to