Hi,

After two days of recieving comments on my original posting and doing some
testing, here's a summary:

* The 'bug' seems to manifest itself randomly. Named on my machine crashes
maybe 1 in 5 tries. This might explain why relatively few people were able to
reproduce it.

* Running nmap without any options at all can crash it; no need for '-O
-St' or somesuch.

* Nessus was reported by someone to have the same effect.

* Besides Free- Open- and NetBSD folks, some Linux users with various
kernels confirmed my findings as well.

I believe ISC is still investigating this. Haven't heard from the
FreeBSD people yet, altough they were the first I reported this to...

--
Maarten
'Facts are stupid things!' said the man in control of the nukes.