On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Peter Tyser <pty...@xes-inc.com> wrote:
>> But, we could still have fun discussing how we go about making the scripts
>> as portable as possible and avoid breaking peoples builds, I presume.
>> And this is, IMO, the main point to this flamy exchange of ideas.
>>
>> Take care Rob.  And try to focus on the matter at hand, which should not
>> be "which shell is best", but how to make the scripts portable.
>
> I 100% agree.  Participating in this discussion is like wrestling a
> greased pig:)

Because it's political discussion now. :)

> I also echo your opinions about keeping the scripts portable.

I can sympathise with this point of view.

However, I can see another point of view:

Why, after years and years of happily using bash, everybody should be
tortured now by being forced to work in a shell which:

* does not have a single source release linked to its homepage
  (http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/)
* does not support many (any?) bash extensions, even simple ones
* does not have a testsuite

Why?

Who are those people and why I am forced to use their shell now?

Why am I a hostage now to their whim on when, and *whether*,
they will agree to fix bug foo or implement feature baz?
bash didn't have bug foo and had feature baz, and I was happy.
Now I'm not.

--
vda