On 3/18/2014 3:54 PM, Mike Dean wrote:
So you're telling me that a plain text script which takes more than 300 bytes
is a better solution than an option that could be configured out?  But your
full text option, enabled by default, takes less than 300 bytes I suppose?

I'm not sure I follow. Harald suggested adding 23 bytes to your existing script, and adds the convenience of a config file where there wasn't before.

You could add that same minimal config file in C, and it would take a lot more than 23 bytes.

Either way, the "config file" will be a thing specific to busybox ntpd and you will have the exact same documentation problem in teaching people how to use it, then they have learning about the "-p" command line switch.

If you want to be compatible with a standard tool, and support "ntp.conf", then you gain the popularly-available documentation, but add a significant amount of code.

Neither way is really ideal. So if you want to add a non-ideal solution, it should be done in a distro-specific script.

-Mike