Hi Laurent!

>> Before I can umount the ntfs (or other rw fs) I need to first
umount the squashfs file and the static persistence file (if it
is being used).  To do that I need to first umount the aufs which
is the root file system.  Without the pivot_root, this is not
possible.

  Isn't it possible to simply remount it read-only ? That's the
traditional way of fscking a rootfs, and it has always worked for
me - but maybe it's unapplicable to your situation, especially
with a HD install that users can modify.

The problem is the stacking of the file systems. You may remount the logical root file system read-only, but if the file system sits on top of a writeable file system this system is still blocked. You can't unmount this lower system until you finished unmounting of the higher system (not possible if root). Even lazy unmounting doesn't solve this (unmount scheduled forever but never executed).

--
Harald