From: Michael Wrenn via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
To: BRAZOS CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 5, 2014 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [BVARC] VHF simplex Local contest

It was challenging to say the least.  But, for me the challenge was not
unexpected.  What was lacking was the presence of any big gun stations.
Reflecting back on the HF contests that I've worked in the past, the Big Gun
stations serve a purpose by giving the little pistols a target.  Without big
gun stations you have a bunch of little pistols running around struggling to
hear each other.  That is my impression of this contest.
As an outsider looking in, there seem to have been an unhealthy amount of
frustration. I say unhealthy, because frustration can discourage the very
operators that we are trying to entice into contesting.
All that said, I believe this event will get better as time goes on. In fact,
this is the kind of event that could be held multiple times throughout the
year. And as awareness of the event grows, hopefully we'll see more stations on
the air that have better coverage and can keep the lower power stations active
and busy making contacts.
Seven Three,
Michael - K5WRN
http://www.qrz.com/db/K5WRN

sorry to not answer during contest...got going in simi ragchew contest mode on
VHF and no assist per repeaters, reflectors ect. My big whooping score was 22
contacts and 5 city mults....It was fun. 73 Bill