Thanks Glenn, Michael, Cookie - excellent information, and excellent points, all!

I totally agree about the shortcomings of rubber duckies on HTs.  The folks I bushwhack, etc. with, we all use HTs to keep in touch, so it's all about simplex.  My Baofengs have served that function perfectly to date - and at ~$40 each, they're almost disposable.  Even so, mine have been dropped, dumped in mud, and exposed to rain, and so far they're all still going.

Probably the best thing I can say about the Chinese radios though, is that they got me back into ham radio after about a 35-year hiatus.  I was first licensed as a 5-wpm CW Novice when I was in 4th grade.  Radio kind of faded away from me after that, largely due to a lack of both gear and hams who were interested in talking to a kid.

Anyway, before my buddies and I started using 2m HTs for recreational comm, we used FRS radios.  Well, I was shopping for some "better" radios on Amazon one day, and stumbled across the Baofengs.  Recalling the days when I was a kid, struggling to figure out how to afford / build my own radios, I was astonished that one could get on the air so easily.

One week later, I took my Tech and General exams, and I've been back ever since.

Even better still, the cheap radios helped me convince a number of my buddies - who had ZERO interest in ham radio before - to get licensed.  (I'm still working on my XYL . . . .)

Most of those folks haven't moved on to better radios, learning about antennas, HF, etc. like I have - but a couple have.  Regardless, in my opinion, anything that gets more people involved in our hobby  - or even aware of it - is good for all of us.

73,

KF5YHP

WILLIS COOKE via BVARC wrote:
Ravi, I don't think there is any HT of any brand that will do what you want.  I have a Kenwood TH-F6 and it certainly will not.  I am definitely not a Yaesu guy, but I would prefer any Japanese transceiver to one from China.  I would recommend that you not plan on any rubber duck to repeater communication over 10 to 15 miles unless you plan to climb a repeater tower with it.  I have a dual band mobile Kenwood in my vehicle and on frequent trips to Oklahoma I seldom make contact outside the metroplexes of Houston and Dallas.  I would not plan on any communications while off-roading, back country, backpacking, or mountaineering except with people in your party who will stay within one mile of you.  I sometimes use my HT for communications within one mile while at MSWE or a convention, but I seldom find them useful.  They would probably be useful at Dayton, but I have not seen them be useful at Ham Com in Dallas, and the Houston hamfests are small enough that most use eyeball QSOs.  Sorry, but I can't give you any encouragement at all.  I have never seen APRS, a build in TNC or C4FM be useful for anything but in selling transceivers.  I have only been a ham for 59 years, but In that time the only time that ham radio was useful for local communication was around 1975 when there were no cell phones or GPS.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke,
BVARC MSWE Chairman, 2014 & 2015
TDXS Contest Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS