I have avoided the xyl designation because I think there are ladies among the
ranks of ham radio operators who interpret xyl and ex young lady -- not a
flattering thing to say.  I think it's usually a good idea to refer to "the
wife" or "the girlfriend" as "my better half."  And to always keep in mind that
the key to a happy relationship is a close familiarity with the phrase "yes
dear," and that's 47 years of married bliss speaking.

JP, K5JPP