On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Paul A. Thiessen wrote:
> I'm trying to set up ipop3d to use as a POP->IMAP
> relayer, so that I can access an IMAP server from my POP3 e-mail client -
> that is what it's for, right? I'm not totally confused? ;)

ipop3d is a POP3 server which happens to have IMAP proxy capability as an
additional feature.  It will run on Windows NT, but was designed for UNIX
and it is recommended that you run it on UNIX instead of Windows.

> - How do I tell it what the name/address/port of my IMAP server is? I tried
> changing myServerAddr and myServerHost in env_nt.c, but that didn't work.

You don't.  If you plan on using the POP->IMAP proxy capability, the user
at the POP client uses a POP user name of the form:
        imapserver:imapuserid
and a POP password that's the same as the IMAP password.

For example, if the user's IMAP server is fred.nlm.nih.gov and the user's
userid is sally, the POP3 user name would be
        fred.nlm.nih.gov:sally

> - Do I need to hard-code in my username/password somehow (by changing the
> global vars at the top of env_nt.c or ...?), or are those taken from the
> username/password sent by the POP3 e-mail client?

This data is supplied by the client.

> - Do I need to use some form of POP3 authentication from my e-mail client?

Barring some additional programming effort, only plaintext password
authentication will work.  These days, people aren't doing much POP/IMAP
proxying.

> - Does ipop3d need to cache e-mail messages somewhere, or is it a pure
> "virtual client" in the sense that it just passes mail from IMAP server
> directly to POP3 client?

ipop3d is a "virtual client".

> Anyway, all I'm getting now are "ERR bad login" or "ERR bad authentication"
> messages when I try to fetch e-mail.

Is the "Guest" account defined on your Windows NT server with no password?

A preferable choice would be to run this on UNIX, in which case it uses
the system standard "nobody" account for daemons and doesn't need to have
the account be open.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.