I'd like to bulk transfer a folder hierarchy from one IMAP server to another. Many of the folders contain both messages and subfolders. The source IMAP server supports this, obviously, but the destination IMAP server does not.

I know about "mailutil transfer", but it doesn't seem usable in this context. It reports an error and halts the first time it tries to put messages into a folder that has already been created as a "directory" with subfolders.

It seems I need one of two things. Either I need a modified "mailutil transfer" that gracefully adapts to this situation or else I need a distinct tool which "homogenizes" folders on the source server first. I imagine something with moves "foo" messages into, say, "foo/general" if folder "foo" also has subfolders.

Do any of you already have something for dealing with this situation?