Migrating XMLChar to char16_t basically means setting in stone and
forever that xerces-c is an utf-16 only library so it's going in a
radically different direction than I was suggesting, so I'm not very
happy to hear about it. I think it can be safely stated that this move
actually closes more doors than it opens. While simplifying the code
base and test grid is great, as I'm reading in [1], I would have
chosen to drop support for wchar_t and int16_t but keep XMLChar for
future possibility to support utf8 for internal encoding. Are you really
sure you want to pursue this direction?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESC-2206