On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Edward Z. Yang wrote:

One of the tracking bugs we have for this issue:
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/4120
Note that the data file directory can be overridden
with environment variables, that might be good enough to
work around.

It would be really nice if inplace data files worked.
It is a little tricky to do, since the installed layout
may not match the inplace layout, but maybe it would be OK
if this were just opt in.

Thank you for the pointer to the ticket. I didn't find it myself because I did not expect that the problem has to do with Nix. :-)

I see that the problem is hard. Maybe paths relative to the executable could be another option?