Hi there,

I will try to answer your question.

Cactus deals with testing the core
components from the J2EE spec (Servlets, JSPs and EJBs). If you have
any framework-specific application, It will be difficult to use it. It is a
mature
project, and is past from the rapid development mode.

HtmlUnit & HttpUnit both emalute browser behaviour and can be used to test
the DOM structure of the pages, javascrpit, etc.... In my view HTMLUnit is
being
developed more than HttpUnit these days. Anyway they both are very mature
projects.

The key point is that http/htmlunit and cactus are complementary. They are
not
rival technologies.

HTH, Petar.

2008/9/4, cowwoc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out which webapp testing framework to use. I ran
> across http://www.proteios.org/wiki/TestPackageAlternatives which lists
> Cactus under "Unit tests of Server-side code" while the other two were
> listed under "Unit tests of Web Applications". Isn't that one and the same
> thing?
>
> I've also noticed that HtmlUnit has been enjoying regular releases for over
> 5 years now while Cactus has an ugly 3 year gap between version 1.8 and
> 1.7.
> I'm sorry for asking this obviously annoying question but... is Cactus dead
> or dying? :) I've been using it on and off for years but it worries me when
> no releases come out for so long.
>
> Ciao,
> Gili
>
> --

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.
- - - - - - - -
| Author @ Manning Publications.
| Technical Consultant @ HP
| BGJUG-Bulgarian Java User Group Leader.
| Apache Jakarta PMC member.
| Jakarta Cactus Lead Developer.
| Blogger: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/paranoiabla/
Public PGP Key at:
https://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x19658550C3110611
Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611