Have you checked that:

$patient['M5Symptom']

is the correct way of referencing the array of symptoms within the
patients array? I've not checked, but often Cake puts model results in
an array like this:

Patient array:

array([0] => array('M5Symptom' => array of all the symptoms...

What I mean is, have you tried $patient[0]['M5Symptom'] to get the
list of symptoms?

I often find I need to use print_r($nameofmyarray) in the view to read
the array in order to work out how to reference particular parts of
the array.

HTH

David