http://www.prismnet.com/contradance/sequences/trip-to-phan-reel.html

On 12/25/2011 10:28 PM, Jeff Kaufman wrote:
Richard Mckeever wrote:
I like Susan Kevra's 'Trip to Phane' reel - but it seems to get
called more around Thanksgiving - maybe it is ready for a second
holiday.
Dorcas Hand wrote:
Gosh - I thought it was the Tryptophan Reel, after the amino acid
found in quantity in Turkey, which is why it is called at
Thanksgiving.
Total speculation, but this sounds like it's related to pinewoods
bathrooms.  Many (all?) of the bathrooms are named after "trip to"
dances with the "trip to" left off: "tunbridege", "kilburn", etc.  My
guess is someone named one of the bathrooms off the kitchen "phane" [1]
as a pun, and then someone wrote a dance to match.  Or the bathroom
could be named after the dance.

Jeff

  [1] The name is unfortunate: it needs a sign saying "this is a bathroom,
      not a phonebooth" that it wouldn't need if it were further from "phone"