Back to the original Q, sort of... I went to a 1-day caller's workshop in
OKC in '01 where I caught the calling bug a little, but the locals who
taught did no "mentoring" to anyone who took the workshop after that.

In '05 I decided to take the plunge, and told the local Austin TX callers.
Several of them did an afternoon workshop for me and a woman who was also
interested. From that point, we were eased into the weekly Wednesday dance
here. I called 1-2 dances in someone else's program for several months,
then was given half an evening a couple times. After 4-5 months, I was put
into the caller rotation, and had a full dance every 5-6 weeks.

As for mentoring, which I define as a regular and more intense contact with
someone with more experience... I have pretty good presentation skills, not
nervous in front of crowds, so I probably didn't need as much help there as
others. I also had a good understanding of timing your calls, because I had
taught aerobics years before, and the "tell 'em just before you do it" idea
is the same... So, my help was in the area of what words/phrases to use
while teaching and calling, and how I was using my voice during those
times... Chuck Roth, Dale Rempert, Marc Airhart were all helpful.

But here's a problem many of you east of the Mississippi, and west of the
Rockies, may not have... The four Texas dancing towns are isolated by
distance from every other state. We are so far away that the only times we
see callers from elsewhere in during dance weekends, and the rare occasion
when a caller passes through TX. So, the mentoring pool for callers is the
people currently calling in TX, and usually just the town you're in,
because it's a long drive between towns. And, with no disrespect to any
current TX callers, if the talent of your calling pool is not the best,
then getting any mentoring from those folks isn't likely. I'm not saying
the callers are bad performers, but many of them are still thinking through
the more basic levels of calling that I, and several others, have already
got a grasp on. I'm also not saying I wouldn't listen to anyone's
suggestions. I'm thinking about mentors being people who have a certain
overall level of quality skills with a good understanding of the process,
for this post.

On the east and west coasts, you have the blessing of many talented callers
passing through, either just coming to dance because they live in the area,
or they've been hired to come by. At least on the east coast, with the
closeness and quantity of people and dances, it's literally physically
easier to find a mentor.

Of course, videos, Skype, and phone calls can all connect us with mentors.
I suspect those would work better for callers who had some of the basic
concepts down.

For continuing and periodic guidance and help over the years, I thank
Joseph Pimentel, Seth Tepfer, Carol Ormand, Nils Fredland, Rich Goss, and
Bob Green.

Keith Tuxhorn
Austin TX