On 1/4/2013 10:34 PM, Paul Wilde wrote:
Hey all,

Seeing the topic of inclusiveness has just popped up, I would like to start
a new thread.  I would like to see us share some dance choices that are
best suited for older dancers, ones that are fun and interesting to dance,
but not quite so physically demanding as some of the high energy and
sometimes high count dances.  Wouldn't it be great to have a section of our
dance decks especially set aside for this?

There was a thread about this on the ECD list back at the beginning of September. Someone was starting a series of "gentle English" for experienced dancers who just aren't up to the slipping and setting and speed (oh my!) but still really want to dance.

Here's a snip from the initial post, from Susan Taylor:
"Baltimore is initiating a new Gentle English series.
We are aiming to encourage all dancers, and particularly dancers for whom some tempi and joint-jarring choreography have become bodily unpleasant, to dance in community (with wonderful music and lively good times)."

As Paul has, she was asking about suggestions of dances that would be enjoyable and mentally challenging without leaving anyone limping or broken. After some suggestions came in, she posted this:

"Thank you for your support in advance of the first (of many!) Gentle English dances in Baltimore. The intent was to provide tempo and choreographic accommodations to allow long-time dancers and new dancers alike to be challenged by a variety of dance puzzles, enjoy stunning music, and enjoy community, even if our bodies have been cranky about the idea."

Paul, is this similar to what you were thinking? I don't have any good suggestions for dances but will be very curious to see what comes up.

Kalia